[haiku-development] Re: WebPositive misleading tool tip on new tab

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 21:23:07 +0100

On 02/22/2013 11:20 AM, Stephan Aßmus wrote:
[a lot of text removed]

Can you please stop including the complete mail in your answer, and give a good example to others?

So I find it more logical to have tool-tips at least on small icons
which may or may not explain themselves, regardless of how obvious the
programmer thinks they are. I am dealing with all sorts of users every
day and what can go wrong goes wrong and what can be misinterpreted will
be.

So what? It's a close button, if you press it, the tab will be closed. It's the same symbol that is used *everywhere* else for this action. It's not only completely superfluous, it also causes unnecessary work for all the individuals that help translating Haiku into other languages.

Tool tips everywhere, even for the simplest of actions, is just the wrong way, and I completely agree with Adrien on this. Tool tips are also far from being a good method of helping the ones that would actually need the help. They should only be used in places where they deliver additional information, like how you can use wildcards in a search panel or something like that.

Lastly, I just want to express that I have zero confidence in John
continuing to "fix" the UI.
Yeah, and to be frank I think it shows between the lines. :-\ I don't
have the feeling that John picks random things that don't need fixing.
Most often there is something wrong from a certain angle, and that's
never a bad starting point. And John has clearly demonstrated his
willingness to adjust his solutions after feedback, even when it
sometimes comes across a bit unfriendly.

You can't deny the fact that his contributions are much more often questioned (and adapted/reverted) than those of our other developers.

I think it's remarkable of him that he continues doing so, and I hope that he manages to improve his rate for the better -- for our mutual benefit.

Bye,
   Axel.