[haiku-development] Re: WebPositive misleading tool tip on new tab

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 16:26:07 -0500

There is just way too much to reply to so...

To Urias and looncraz,

You each brought up good ideas but they aren't related to what I'm
trying to address right now, let's get back to them later.

To SMCollins,

I don't think turning off tooltips is a good idea. The reason that you
don't like them it is because you are not their target, they are meant
for less experienced users. If you really don't need them you
shouldn't see them much, at least that's the idea. Then again, maybe
I've missed something, if you'd like to continue this thread of
conversation please start a new thread, this thread has veered off
topic enough already.

To Stephan,

I don't understand why this is such a big deal either. This is a tough
community sometimes. If we, the developers, make a big deal out of
these little details like tool tips I can't imagine how we are ever
going to tackle the really big important problems. These kinds of
discussions really hurt the project and I wish they could be avoided.

To mmadia,

We don't always see eye-to-eye on everything. You're idea of what
Haiku should be is obviously different from mine. I am trying to make
the system more accessible to less experienced users. I'm sure there
will be more disagreements in the future. I am trying to collaborate
more and seek advice instead of making unilateral decisions, this
thread was suppose to show that, instead it has turned into a big
argument and devolved into personal attacks; luckily I've got thick
skin.

To Axel,

I see where you are coming from when you say "Tool tips are
everywhere, even for the simplest of actions, is just the wrong way".
Having tooltips on really simple actions doesn't make sense. Right now
though we are trending the wrong way, there are too few tool tips in
the system even on the stuff that isn't obvious.

"You can't deny the fact that his contributions are much more often
questioned (and adapted/reverted) than those of our other developers."

My contributions are often questioned more than others, I cannot deny
this. I work on controversial areas. When I get complains I take
feedback and make alterations. I do my best to incorporate the ideas
of others. I have strong opinions and I express them but I don't
pretend to be the ultimate authority.

Several times now after my changes are reverted people complain that
they actually like my change and wanted them kept. It seems like there
is a growing discontent in the community, many times the voices of
users are being ignored or drowned out by those who "know better".
Perhaps I could do a better job at listening to others, but perhaps
you could too.

To Axel and PulkoMandy (sorry to lump you together but you said similar things),

"It's not only completely superfluous, it also causes unnecessary work
for all the individuals that help translating Haiku into other
languages."

Normally, I'd let this go, but, since I've been outed as a rebel, I'll
respond to it,

The cost of translating strings is real, but the price is worth the
gain, helping new users use Haiku. You don't need the tool tips, but
they aren't for you. It is a bold statement that you know better than
the collective wisdom of the developers of FireFox, Safari, Chrome,
Opera, etc.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, so, back up your
words. What evidence do you have that close buttons are so obvious
that they don't require a tool tip for explanation?

Ultimately I don't really care about this tool tip, I added it as an
afterthought, just to help, and I removed it after people complained.
But I DO care that this has turned into such a big deal. Also, the
point of this thread was suppose to be addressing a serious UI
problem, let's get back to that:

1. Return to displaying a "Close tab" tool tip over the close tab button.
2. Remove the tool tip when over the close tab button.
3. Remove the tab tool tip entirely.

Or we could just live with it as is. What do you guys think?