[haiku-development] Re: WebPositive misleading tool tip on new tab

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 17:57:58 -0500

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:53 AM, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2/22/13, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> John replaced this button with an "X" icon and put it on the left of the
>> Find interface (as in Firefox). For consistency, he also gave it a
>> tool-tip "Close" like in the tabs.
>
> Consistency with what? Other software that runs on other operating systems?
> We are making HAIKU. Not recreating software or other (non-BeOS)
> operating systems.

As Przemysław says, the Close button was ugly. I think the majority of
people would agree. Even Stephan who originally implemented it, was
happy with John's change.

> Doing something purely because it exists on other platforms is not a
> valid reason and has been expressed in other threads.

As has been repeatedly stated as well, NOT doing something in Haiku
because other systems do it that way (being different for differences
sake), is just as invalid as blindly copying everything.

--
Regards,
Ryan