[haiku-development] Re: WebPositive misleading tool tip on new tab

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 23:17:51 +0100

On 02/24/2013 11:50 AM, Stephan Aßmus wrote:
If you can't tell an X from a square, using tool tips is not the way to help
you. I could rather imagine a help overlay that explains all components you are
currently seeing.
[...]
And then there is the issue of the common wisdom of other applications and
platforms. Where is the proof that
it's actually stupid and unnecessary for Firefox to provide a tooltip for
the exact same icons?

And where is the proof that they are actually helpful for these tasks?
It's not a proof that Firefox is using them; both questions are equally valid -- I believe in common wisdom exactly as much as I believe in common stupidity. Since we don't have proof either way, I'm afraid we'll have to listen to our arguments...

So far I have heard two arguments: Tool-tips don't work on touch screens and
they add to the cost of translation.
To me, the translation cost argument sounds a bit desperate, like there is no
other solid argument against them.

You may have missed a few :-)

Anyway, IMO tool tips used for standard UI elements (like an X button) are not really solving the problem of helping someone inexperienced. And the translation argument is valid only in so far that why should we add them there when they don't meet their audience, and even come for an actual price (the translation).

My point is not that tool tips are annoying (they can be, sure, but usually they aren't), my point is that they are pointless when used this way.

If you want to solve basic problems of UI interaction, tutorials or a help overlay, or even on screen explaining texts (when you have the space) are much better solutions IMO. They may cause even more work for translators, but they aren't pointless at all :-)

Bye,
   Axel.