[haiku-development] Re: R1 Alpha 2 Optional Package discussion

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:19:48 +0000

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 14:58, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Based on that, I suggest including ICU-devel.
> It is required to build WebPositive from source and its file size is
> <4M uncompressed.

Any thoughts on including XZ-Utils?
Uncompressed it's 2.6M.

It's a slightly more efficient compression format, utilized by
haikuporter for creating patched-source-tarballs, and would help with
space requirements of storing the sources online & distributing them
along with Haiku on physical media. As a reminder, distributing the
sources along with Haiku on physical media is the simplest and most
effective way of ensuring compliance with the various [L]GPL licenses'
clauses for providing source code.

For comparative purposes
buildtools/trunk with .svn folders:
  zip -9ry = 235M
  tar -cJvf = 83M

Granted the inclusion of .svn folders may be tipping this example in
.tar.xz's favor, but the difference is substantial.

--mmadia