[haiku-development] Re: R1 Alpha 2 Optional Package discussion

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 20:29:13 +0200

On 2010-04-20 at 20:09:34 [+0200], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 08:42, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm not opposed to either of those, though I also don't feel that they are
> > must-haves. I suppose we also have to start looking at the image size. The
> > current alpha-raw contents seems to weigh >600 MB already. If we're going
> > to add the full sources, we might hit the CD size limit.
>
> trunk's @alpha-cd builds to 485 MB.

For comparison: A df in a freshly built and booted @alpha-raw image says
17.2M/650.0M free. And I'm still hoping we can get the anyboot image into an
acceptable state for CD usage, so we can drop the other build targets.

> 25MB of that will be reclaimed when VLC & Clockwerk are removed.
> If Web+ is added, most of that will be balanced as it uncompresses to
> 23M (8M zip)
>
> I'm of the opinion that if Web+ becomes an included package then
> BeZilla could be removed or stored as zip, like several other packages
> on the CD.

+1 for removing. Just to give Stippi a bit more incentive. :-)

> Here's some packages that could be stored as zips on the CD and the
> amount of space gained.
>   BeZillaBrowser +23M (12M zip)
>   BeBook +7M (2.5M zip)
>   Yasm    +5M (3M zip)
>   WonderBrush  +4M (3M zip)
>   = 41M gained.
>
> It may be possible to store the gcc2 and gcc4 compilers as zips as
> well, which would give +43M (27M zips)
>
> If the sources are compressed as either  .tar.xz or .7z, then I don't
> see space being an issue.

If we go with the same CD format as for alpha 1, that would be the case
indeed.

> As for alternatives for providing the source code, I honestly don't
> think it's viable.
[...]

I think it's simply the easiest solution for us to include the sources.

CU, Ingo