[haiku-development] Re: R1 Alpha 2 Optional Package discussion

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:09:34 -0400

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 08:42, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not opposed to either of those, though I also don't feel that they are
> must-haves. I suppose we also have to start looking at the image size. The
> current alpha-raw contents seems to weigh >600 MB already. If we're going
> to add the full sources, we might hit the CD size limit.

trunk's @alpha-cd builds to 485 MB.

25MB of that will be reclaimed when VLC & Clockwerk are removed.
If Web+ is added, most of that will be balanced as it uncompresses to
23M (8M zip)

I'm of the opinion that if Web+ becomes an included package then
BeZilla could be removed or stored as zip, like several other packages
on the CD.

Here's some packages that could be stored as zips on the CD and the
amount of space gained.
  BeZillaBrowser +23M (12M zip)
  BeBook +7M (2.5M zip)
  Yasm  +5M (3M zip)
  WonderBrush  +4M (3M zip)
  = 41M gained.

It may be possible to store the gcc2 and gcc4 compilers as zips as
well, which would give +43M (27M zips)

If the sources are compressed as either  .tar.xz or .7z, then I don't
see space being an issue.

As for alternatives for providing the source code, I honestly don't
think it's viable.

This is a clipping from GPL v2
=-=-=
    a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
    source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections
    1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

    b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
    years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
    cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
    machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
    distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
    customarily used for software interchange; or,

    c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer
    to distribute corresponding source code.  (This alternative is
    allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you
    received the program in object code or executable form with such
    an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)
=-=-=
Now IANAL, but since the cd's can be purchased, I'm unsure if that
qualifies as commercial distribution. Honestly, I'm not willing to
take that chance.

In the unlikely case that CafePress is indeed able to accommodate our
need to provide a written offer, there is no guarantee that the
address provided will remain valid in the future.

--mmadia