[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 14:36:50 -0500

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM,  <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> How about LMB on the border performs a move, and option key+LMB
>> performs to a resize, good compromise?
>
> RMB already performs a resize. You think this is not easy to reach, and want
> to replace it with a key + LMB ? I think this is only change for the purpose
> of change now. RMB drag is easier than LMB drag + a key.
>
> So, we already have a good compromise.

How is that a fair compromise?, It addressed neither of my concerns,
ergonomics and discoverability. With the option key I have the chance
to update the mouse cursor aiding discoverability, it is also easier
to perform a LMB drag while holding a keyboard key than it is to
perform a RMB drag aiding ergonomics. Not having to push the option
key would have even better discoverability and ergonomics but was
rejected, thus the proposed compromise.

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am 21/01/2013 18:41, schrieb John Scipione:
> You are missing the point: as Matt pointed out, the Ctrl-Alt resizing is
> "advanced" functionality. The direct resize method is easily discoverable.
>
> It's handy that Ctrl-Alt-F/B brings a window to the foreground/background.
> It's handy that Ctrl-Alt-arrows switch the workspaces. It's handy that
> Alt-Fx switches the workspace.
> Are those easily discoverable? Not at all. Is there any reason to change
> that? Nope.

I think you missed my points, calling something "advanced"
functionality does not excuse poor UI. I made 2 points about RMB drags
which are being missed as no one has yet addressed them. Yes, the
current behavior is consistent but it has serious usability issues so
I am looking for alternatives. My whole argument is predicated on the
fact that RMB drags are poor UI for the reasons I've listed
previously. If you don't believe that, well, I see how you might think
that I am being pedantic and contrary.

Does changing the functionality from RMB to option+LMB make a
difference? Yes! IMHO there is a big difference in terms of
discoverability and ergonomics! If you can't see that I am wasting my
time here.