[haiku-development] Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 14:46:11 -0500

As it appears that ticket 7063

https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/7063

Is raging on today I thought that it might be a good time to point out a few other usability issues I noticed... But not on trac since that ticket has enough noise already.

When you press ctrl+alt the window edges get highlighted to show the resize edges but a LMB click does a move which I find confusing. What should happen is when you push ctrl+alt all 4 sides of the window should highlight. When you push the LMB down the mouse pointer should turn into a 4 direction arrow indicating a move.

I also think that a RMB drag to resize is a little strange. I think a better solution would be to have another modifier key, I propose ctrl +alt+shift switch you into "resize mode" and then the current edge highlighting would be activated. The LMB then would be used to resize as the RMB does now.

So to sum up:

ctrl+alt highlights all 4 window edges indicating a move

ctrl+alt+LMB does a window move with all 4 edges highlighted and the mouse pointer becoming a 4 direction mouse pointer.

ctrl+alt+shift does the current resize edge highlighting

ctrl+alt+shift+LMB does a resize with the current edge highlighting and mouse pointer arrow replacing.

Perhaps the ctrl+alt+shift key combo won't work but I like the idea of visually indicating a move vs a drag. And although I don't like the RMB drag, I can live with it.

Thanks,

John Scipione