[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 16:22:55 -0500

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't follow the rest of your line of thought either. I would assume that
> the majority of the current Haiku user base frequently uses at least one
> other platform. The people using Haiku exclusively can likely be counted on
> one hand. So not even talking about attracting new users, it may be a
> compelling argument to get rid of an /unnecessary/ difference when switching
> between platforms so often, for current users.

And this is precisely the line of argument I can't understand. If I'm
trying out a new OS, the whole reason for me to try it is precisely to
see what it brings to the table that *isn't* the same as my status
quo. As such, to me, this whole argument for conformity is arguing to
essentially destroy any incentive to try us out since, if we're
essentially the same old experience with a slightly different skin and
fewer apps, there's no compelling reason to bother trying. It's only
if we bring something different to the table that we might be
interesting enough to stick around with despite the shortcomings.
Furthermore, as a developer working on the OS, where exactly is the
incentive to do so if all I'm allowed to do is clone whatever the
mainstream OSes are doing? What is it you want Haiku to be exactly?

Regards,

Rene