[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 11:21:55 +0100

Am 10.01.2011 10:31, schrieb Simon Taylor:
On 10/01/11 09:12, Axel Dörfler wrote:
[...]
I think nobody questions the feature itself, it's just that the
current behavior can be improved.
What should be improved IMO is the highlighting, and when it appears.
I think tangobravo's comment on the orignally mentioned bug is quite
fitting: if the highlighting is subtle, nobody would care. Problem is,
it's not subtle at the moment.
I would change it like this:
* Instead of changing the color, I would just change the contrast,
brightness, or saturation or something like that.
* when pressing ctrl+alt, the highlighting could be faded in, for the
whole border (to show that this is the windows key combo for those who
don't know).
* once you move the mouse, a specific border could be highlighted as
it is now (but possibly also more subtle.
* optionally repurpose shift+left click to resize as well

Any comments on that?

Sounds pretty good - I certainly like fading in the highlighting, and
making it more subtle.

I'm not sure about switching highlighting "mode" on mouse move, as the
LMB still does a window move regardless of the highlighting mode.
Perhaps we could come up with a highlighting scheme where all borders
are highlighted, but the one closest to the mouse is still
differentiated somehow?

Axel's suggestions plus Simons refinements sound perfect to me.

Best regards,
-Stephan