[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 19:19:04 -0500

On Jan 9, 2011, at 6:08 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:

On 2011-01-09 at 23:46:12 [+0100], John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On Jan 9, 2011, at 5:03 PM, "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
When you press ctrl+alt the window edges get highlighted to show the resize edges but a LMB click does a move which I find confusing. What
should happen is when you push ctrl+alt all 4 sides of the window
should highlight. When you push the LMB down the mouse pointer should
turn into a 4 direction arrow indicating a move.

Sounds good.

I also think that a RMB drag to resize is a little strange. I think a better solution would be to have another modifier key, I propose ctrl
+alt+shift switch you into "resize mode" and then the current edge
highlighting would be activated. The LMB then would be used to resize
as the RMB does now.

The only problem with shift is that a shift-move will take the window
to the workspace when you switch during that move. So that combo is
already kind of used.

One hand's on the mouse and the other one presses Ctrl, Alt, Shift and a fourth key to switch the workspace. That's quite advanced finger acrobatics.

I agree let's reassign it to something better.

Other than that, I would agree that the highlight is more confusing
than helping due to the right mouse button resizing.

I agree that the highlighting is a bit confusing at first, but it's also something one gets used to quickly. At least I'm not particularly confused
anymore. :-)

It is confusing, you are just used to it.

Ok so if ctrl+alt+shift won't work then the only other reasonable key
combination than I can think of would be either ctrl+alt+Windows key
if you have a Windows key on your keyboard or Ctrl+alt+command if you
have a command key on your keyboard.

You probably mean Ctrl-Option-Command (at least that's what Apple keyboards
used to have (respectively Command == Apple)). Anyway, I'm pretty much
opposed to any combo that requires pressing three keys with one hand. On some keyboards Ctrl-Option-Command are all side-by-side, but don't even think that's the case for most keyboards. And if you have to look at your
keyboard for some gesture, then it's certainly not user friendly.
Ctrl-Alt-Shift is even worse, since usually Shift is in another row and normally both Shift and Ctrl would normally be pressed with the pinky. So
that's looking at the keyboard plus an unintuitive grip.

On my keyboard control option and command are next to each other and Mac OS X uses those 3 keys together for some functions. control+option +command+8 inverts the screen colors for instance.

Are you saying that 3 buttons plus a LMB is less intuitive than 2 buttons plus a RMB? I take offense to that.

My way has the advantage that the keyboard combination alone gives the user a clue as to what the mouse click will do via the window edge highlighting. I am flexible as to the best key combo but there are only a few options that can be performed easily with the left hand only.

On Kinesis keyboards pressing a thumb key and more than one other with the
same hand seriously sucks.

I have no idea what a Kinesis keyboards are, sorry. Get a better keyboard???

Of course if you have an older
keyboard with no windows key then you would be left out in the cold
which is why I originally suggested shift. If anyone can think of a
good keyboard combination for resizing that would work for all
keyboards i'd love to hear it.

I'm not sure I'd like that better than the status quo, but an alternative would be to enter the resizing mode after double-tapping Ctrl-Alt. Then the LMB could be used and the border hightlighting wouldn't even be necessary
(though perhaps easier to distinguish), since the mouse cursor could
reflect which corners/edges would be resized.

CU, Ingo

I hope I have stated my case well enough. Thanks again for listening.