[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 21:23:55 +0100

Am 21/01/2013 20:36, schrieb John Scipione:
With the option key I have the chance to update the mouse cursor
aiding discoverability, it is also easier
to perform a LMB drag while holding a keyboard key than it is to
perform a RMB drag aiding ergonomics.

As long as you are not handicapped in any way, it should not matter at all if you press the left or the right mouse button, heck, you can even do both with your index finger if you prefer.

I think you missed my points, calling something "advanced"
functionality does not excuse poor UI.

Please take your time and listen to arguments. Having shortcuts in *addition* to a directly visible approach is not a poor UI. Period.

I am looking for alternatives. My whole argument is predicated on the
fact that RMB drags are poor UI for the reasons I've listed
previously. If you don't believe that, well, I see how you might think
that I am being pedantic and contrary.

Indeed, I don't see how pressing the right mouse button is any harder than the left one.

Does changing the functionality from RMB to option+LMB make a
difference? Yes! IMHO there is a big difference in terms of
discoverability and ergonomics! If you can't see that I am wasting my
time here.

You need two hands to resize something, add a completely new modifier into the game, and call that easier? And even more discoverable? Sorry, but I can't follow you there. And even if you have, for some reasons that I don't understand (and don't have to understand), problems using the right mouse button to resize the window, the resize knob is right there for you to use.
No need to cripple a perfectly consistent user experience.

Bye,
   Axel.