[guidedogchat] Re: free run

  • From: Doug Parisian <eggmann@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 09:05:13 -0600

Well, I ain't have no dead dogs yet over the past 30 years.

As I've already said, when you have your dog free to have their own space and body awareness, be sure that:

1.  Your fence is solid and secure.

2. Spring load all gates and ensure that they close with a catch to keep them in the closed position until someone releases the catch.

3.  Be outside with your dog.

4.  Some may wish to attach a bell to the collar for easier monitoring.

5. If using a dog park, be sure that you have a wise and trustworthy sighted person.

All the above will go easier if one spends proper and effective time training off leash.

But hey, all you determined leashers! We used to put a rope on my younger brother when we went fishing near a heavy waterfall. I've actually met parents who have their young children on a leash while shopping. Too bad for some that the parents don't include one of those real cool pinch collars.

Even TSI now encourages off-leash play which they certainly did not do on my first trip in 1977. Darn, they even hauled out a rather tragic letter from a student whose dog apparently got loose and was made two-dimensional by a passing car. They read the same letter on my second and third trips in 1979 and 1989. It was apparently retired on my subsequent trainings.

Being the disobedient sort, I allowed all my dogs free play in controlled settings and found that it took care of excess energy resulting in more concentration during work time.

And now, here come the yabuts.

On 06/02/2014 6:51 AM, Don Marr wrote:
we're supposed to have them on leash at all times, guides have been known to escape fences and get killed, and even if my yard was fenced, would still keep him or her on a flexie, Don

        From: "Don Marr"
        To: guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

        I'd never let my dog off leash, we were told never to do it,
        even with a fenced in yard, so i don't, he doesn't like to run
        anyway, Don

                    From: "Debbie Palmer"
                    To: guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<http://email10.orange.co.uk/webmail/en_GB/java-script:_e%28%7B%7D,%27cvml%27,%27guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx%27%29;>

                    Hi I was told at least once a week for Pearl but
                    due to the weather and not
                    having anyone to go with very often she doesn't
                    have that many.

                    Debbie and Pearl

--
Doug Parisian