[gmpi] Re: lost-n-found #3 parameter stuff

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 08:33:51 -0800

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 08:35:32AM -0700, Mike Berry wrote:
>       I don't think it is a corner case if we can show a host (Premiere)
> which needs it 100% of the time for all plugins, custom UI or not.

If you need this for EVERY parameter of EVERY plugin, I'm worried.  This
is a whole chunk of new functionality that was totally missed for the last
18 months, and now it's NEEDED?

>       The issue is not just for parsing the string that is typed. Hot text
> controls in Premiere are also draggable. For that, I need to know what
> the natural unit of increment is. Lets say that I have a parameter that
> is frequency in linear units in a float. In the plugin's custom UI, it
> is free to put a log-based control onto that parameter. But the host has
> no idea. So how does the host pick a useful unit for incrementing and
> decrementing the value? This is exacerbated by the normalization in VST,
> but just getting rid of the normalization does not fix the problem.

Can you explain real breifly what "hot text" is?  And you're saying that
you never use custom UIs?  You always have a host-generated UI?

As for increment/decrement, those would need to become events so they can
be timestamped (and everything else that happens to parameter changes).
Eek.

so, what you want is (if I understand)

PARAM_TYPE new_val = parameter->increment(old_val);
send_event(new_val);

Am I right?