[gmpi] Re: lost-n-found #3 parameter stuff

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:09:31 +0200

On Tuesday, October 19, 2004 8:48 PM [GMT+1=CET],
Tim Hockin <xxxthockin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> 1. Are numeric (int/float/enum) parameters hard ranges or suggested
>>>    ranges?
>>
>> Can you rephrase this? I don't see what you're aiming at. Are you talking
>> about 0-1 ranges etc?
>
> During XAP (and early here?) some people advocated that a parameter's
> range is merely a suggestion, and that the suggested ranges could be
> violated.
>
> I personally disagree with this, but I wanted to make sure it got
> attention before being discarded.

Ah, I see. I'd say a plugin that specifies its parameter range and then
receives out-of-range parameters should either clip the parameter or
disregard the change at all. I'm not sure if out-of-range parameters can
always be avoided ("everyone" who knows the parameter range can avoid
out-of-range values of course, but what happens with parameter automation
recorded with an previous plugin version and than played back using a newer
version that has changed ranges...)

>>> 2. It was discussed at one point about flagging some strings as
>>> filenames, or even as project-local filenames, such that a host might
>>> be able to bundle a file (such as a sample) with a project
>>> automatically.  Should we mention something like this?  I like this.
>>
>> Sounds nice, yes. But I'm wondering if it is really a requirement: a
>> plugin can handle this too when a request to save it's state (in the
>> project file/bundle) is made. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to add it, no.
>
> I think it's a minor thing that could be tremendously useful.  BUt I could
> also be talked out of it.

No problem for me, as long as it's well-defined, so that all hosts act the
same regarding this.

Koen