[gmpi] Re: lost-n-found #3 parameter stuff

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:02:51 +0200

On Tuesday, October 26, 2004 2:47 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Tim Hockin <xxxthockin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 09:44:09AM -0400, Ron Kuper wrote:
>> One important thing we need, based on personal experience with VST and
>> DX, is the ability to format and parse value strings from parameter
>> values.  Quite often a plugin will expose a parameter as a linear 0-1
>> float value, but in fact some non-linear mapping is applied to produce
>> the actual value for DSP or whatever.
>
> Is this because it is convenient for them, or because they are abiding by
> some other limitation, such as normalized values.  If the parameter really
> is in dB, shouldn't the input be in dB?
>
> I mean, I don't have a problem with a callback to get a displayable value,
> but I am curious why it would really be needed in this brave new world?

Separation of internal representation in physical units from external way of
displaying this to the user.
As Paul said, a parameter value may be perfectly represented in a physical
unit internally, but represented to the user in another way (or the user may
even have a choice in how he/she wants to display/enter a value for the
parameter). In most cases of course, both the internal and the user
representation will probably be exactly the same.

>> Instead of flagging a string as a file name, I'd rather break out an
>> explicit file name parameter type.  I assume we would require these to
>> be URLs?
>
> Hadn't thought of URLs, but I suppose URLs would be a valid input.  When
> I said flag it as a filename, I guess I really meant to subclass a String
> parameter.  So we're saying the same thing.
>
> Would it make the detractors less opposed if it were indicated as a
> parameter datatype?

Filename as a special datatype might make sense yes, if someone requires
this.

Koen