[gmpi] Re: lost-n-found #3 parameter stuff

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:16:11 +0000

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 11:35:58PM -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 05:25:37AM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> > Yes, but I thought that the lack of hot text for VSTs is due to the paramter
> > normalisation that happens in VST, rather than the lack of a parse input.
> > All LADSPA plugins have hot text in hosts that support it, and there is no
> > textual form parse function.
>
> Devil's advocate, since I have no strong position.
>
> How do you handle an input parameter that is non-linear?  That is, the
> value you want the user to see is a function of the parameter input.

We have an entire mechanism to deal with exactly that case: Prameter
Pre-Processors.

Often not even that will be neccesary. The common case (IME) is that you
have a slider whos position is non-linear with the value it sends to the
parameter (eg gain in dB's), but that mapping is done by the UI, the
spinbutton or text control is still expressed in dB's as thats the natural
unit of the control.