[gmpi] Re: lost-n-found #3 parameter stuff

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:48:19 -0700

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 08:43:42PM +0200, Koen Tanghe wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 19, 2004 5:32 PM [GMT+1=CET],
> Tim Hockin <xxxthockin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Two items on parameters:
> >
> > 1. Are numeric (int/float/enum) parameters hard ranges or suggested
> >    ranges?
>
> Can you rephrase this? I don't see what you're aiming at. Are you talking
> about 0-1 ranges etc?

During XAP (and early here?) some people advocated that a parameter's
range is merely a suggestion, and that the suggested ranges could be
violated.

I personally disagree with this, but I wanted to make sure it got
attention before being discarded.

> > 2. It was discussed at one point about flagging some strings as filenames,
> > or even as project-local filenames, such that a host might be able to
> > bundle a file (such as a sample) with a project automatically.  Should we
> > mention something like this?  I like this.
>
> Sounds nice, yes. But I'm wondering if it is really a requirement: a plugin
> can handle this too when a request to save it's state (in the project
> file/bundle) is made. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to add it, no.

I think it's a minor thing that could be tremendously useful.  BUt I could
also be talked out of it.