[gmpi] Re: lost-n-found #3 parameter stuff

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 20:41:21 +0100

On Thursday, November 04, 2004 6:42 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Steve Harris <xxxS.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 01:35:09AM +0100, Koen Tanghe wrote:
>> IMHO, it can be handy that users are allowed to type in parameters (so
>> not only display).
>
> Sure, but it doesnt require any specification, the UI can just provide a
> textbox.

Of course, and that's the point I was trying to make ;-)
Please talk me through this:
- so let's say the host UI provides a textbox
- the user types in some characters in that textbox
- how does the host communicate a new parameter value to the plugin, when it
has only the string given by the user?

Koen

PS
My thoughts were:
- the host sends the entered value string to the plugin
- the plugin does the necessary conversion from the string to a value
(taking into account the localization settings, maybe using some GMPI
provided set of common functions to help with this?)
- the plugin either accepts the value or refuses it, and lets the host know