[gmpi] Re: lost-n-found #3 parameter stuff

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 23:11:53 -0800

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 10:41:43PM +0100, Koen Tanghe wrote:
> Let's say I have a string type parameter that takes chord sequences as
> textual input (like "Am7 C Gm" for example), and I want the user to be able
> to type this in. The host can provide a textbox and you're doing your atof()
> thing. Great...

You're talking about a string parameter, in the first place.  OF COURSE a
string parameter gets passed to the plugin unmolested - that is the
fundamental data.

The example that made me see the need for the plugin to render display
strings (which is still an i18n pain) was this:

A parameter (float 0.0-1.0) which represents decibels in a non-linear way.
For a hard example, let's say that 0.0 to 0.1 is 6dB gain, but 0.7 to 0.8
is only 1dB gain.  This lets the user have very fine control around the
upper end of the range (probably a useless example, but whatever).

Rather than show the user 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, etc. the plugin can provide a
parameter pretty-printer which takes a parameter value (0.7) and turns it
into a string ("-3 dB").

By this argument, I can see what you're asking for.  You want the user to
be able to type in "-3" and have the slider jump to 0.7.

If I get you correctly, then please use a good example - the chord
progression one doesn't fly :)

My own take is that this is getting complex, for very little gain.
However, the complexity won't impact plugins who don't need this.

It does impact hosts, but only hosts that want to support this.