[gmpi] Re: Topic 8: Parameters

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 10:03:58 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Loftis" <ben@xxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2003 2:41 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Topic 8: Parameters

> Vincent Burel wrote:
>
> >- 2 -Secondly the computer cannot support the load when there is too much
> >parameter handled one by one (even if it's every 20ms only).  Especially
on
> >complicated effect when a public parameters is related to a big amount of
> >DSP parameters to re-compute. And even just a parametric EQ 5 bands can
> >overload your computer, because every 10 ms of 20ms you send freq/Q/gain
and
> >each time you have to recompute the effect DSP parameters.
>
> While generally true, I believe there are 2 issues to keep in mind:
> CPU power / bandwidth is approaching infinity :).

number of plug-in / number of parameter / CPU load to recompute DSP
parameters... are also approaching infinity... but faster ! :-) (an i don't
talk about new high samplerate) ... Also it depends on effect , i own effect
where the parameters computation is more important than the DSP processing
itself. I even get one which needs 2 seconds to recompute DSP parameters,
that 's why also this make appear a new problem, there is effect able to
manage 1 parameter change every ms and other which need 20ms, 50ms or more,
to handle the transition (and this is not only a question of CPU power).

> Some plugins may actually be implemented in a dedicated DSP chip.  The
GMPI portion only has to handle control data.

no, on dedicated DSP system, the parameter computation can also be done by
the PC.

> >- 3 - the user is not able to manage correctly hundreds different
parameters
> >in automation mode, this makes no sens. When the effect become
complicated,
> >the user prefer to work with snapshot.
>
> In the film world it is very common to automate 100's of parameters in
"automation mode".  In fact there are a half dozen different automation
modes to make this more convenient.  I assume that GMPI will support this
market as well.

yes , often with an hardware console , and usually for wellknown parameters
(gain, pan, probably static EQ... and that's all ! ) . In fact more and more
the automation is made before in the editing/montage step.

if we talk only about effect, moving knob in automation mode is not an
obvious task : The user has to be sure that this is a secure operation
(without zipper noise and transition problem) and have to trust his
softwares/computer integrity.

Vincent Burel