[gmpi] Re: Topic 8: Parameters

  • From: Marc Poirier <fipnid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 09:04:46 -0700 (PDT)

--- Frederic Vanmol wrote:
> > Secondly, I also hope that the state data format, when we get there,
> > includes version, whether it's done as a "parameter" or not (and
> > personally I don't see why it would be one, it's not changeable).
>
> Exactly. But the idea of a state data format itself negates being able
> to recall a state only by its parameters, doesn't it (which is what
> started my comments)?

Ahhhh, okay, I get your concerns now.  You're totally right, simply
running running through every parameter and saving its data / restoring
its data is not sufficient to save and restore state when your dealing
with restoring state data from a different version of the same plugin.
The idea of not even having anything special for state restoring (not any
more special then just setting parameters) seemed nice, but it won't do.
I guess we'll need some sort of special hook in the API that is
specifically for restoring state, where the data's version is provided
with the array of parameter data.  I don't think that anything special
would be needed when saving state data, though (the host should be able to
fetch the plugin's version itself and store that with the parameter data).

> > Thirdly, what difference does it really make if you publish a
> > parameter that is arbitrary data, even if it's something secret or
> > something like that?  Only the plugin knows how to understand it, and
> > can provide an open way for the user to alter it or not.
>
> Not much of a difference. Only, a host will be more complex if it has to
> distinguish between understandable parameters and others (since
> obviously it can't show the others to the user).

Not showing stuff doesn't sound all that complex to me...  ;)

Marc

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com