[gmpi] Re: Topic 8: Parameters

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 09:05:47 -0600

Here is the problem I see with the parameter 0 blob: it makes a time-varying blob more expensive than it needs to be. Lets take the analysis example that I mentioed earlier, except posit that this plugin has 3 analysis chunks. If they all have to be saved in a single blob, then anytime that one of them changes you have to save the entire blob. If one of the analysis chunks is small but likely to change often, and the other 2 are large but change infrequently, we have imposed a serious overhead for the often-varying one, because everytime it changes it has to save the 2 large analyses again, even though they have not changed. If they can be separate opaque parameters, then we don't have this problem.

Marc Poirier wrote:

--- Chris Grigg wrote:

I agree that there should definitely be length-delimited blob parameters, for generality and to avoid unnecessary limits on plug functionality.

Given that, why not make the first parameter (index 0) always be a "state" blob? If necessary it would encapsulate all the separate parameters, plus whatever other blobby stuff the plug might need. Then no need to provide separate mechanisms to handle parameters and save/load of overall state.

Of course the individual parameters would also be available via their own indexes too.

Why impose this limitation?  And it's also imposing a requirement, too
(many plugins will not need an arb data parameter at all, but your idea
requires that they create one anyway).

Marc

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Mike Berry