[gmpi] Re: Topic 8: Parameters

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 12:12:12 -0400

>Like what cases?

other than the multiple host case, extension of GMPI to cover
non-proxied out-of-address-space clients (even though we've agreed for
now that this is not part of the design space).

>Who said anything about multiple hosts?

its been discussed here from time, and if you take a look at the
direction the industry and technology is moving in, the idea of a
distributed system using a dedicated LAN to massively increase the
CPU power available is beginning to look rather promising (even
doable, right now, today). again, for now, we've agreed that the
design space isn't going to cover this (people can use proxies if they
really want to do this), but it would unwise in general to do
something that makes such a transition difficult. i imagine that in a
few years it will be commonplace.

>                                         I only said other listeners, and
>then specifically said "like a GUI."  Hosts are not the only types of

the GUI might be running on another machine.

>listeners.  Any element that interfaces with the AU may be a listener.
>Also, sorry for my ignorance, but what's RPC?

Remote Procedure Call. a generic CS term for any system that allows
code to make what appears to be a regular function call, but it
actually involves talking to another host, having it do some work, and
collecting the result. typically used with an Interface Definition
Language (IDL) that makes it easy to create all the stubs and backends
needed to make it work. nothing fancy, just library wrappers around
some kind of network protocol+client+server setup.

anyway, we're off the point. the original context for this
conversation came from the point about using a host callback to
"register" a given parameter path. you raised the idea of not wanting
all parameter changes (and presumably parameter registrations too) to
have to go only to the host.

the thing about AU that i don't get is the discovery process. imagine
i'm a new chunk of code started up and i want to find out what plugins
exist, and what their parameters are. how do i do this? AFAICT, AU is
totally rooted in the in-address-space-and-execution-context model of
a plugin, and thus the only context in which you can discover plugins
is the context of the host itself.

therefore, what i think you are asking for is to avoid this:

           plugin   -> host -> GUI

and allow this

           plugin -> GUI

when notifying about parameter changes + registrations.

since this is intimately tied up with the question of GUIs, i suggest
we wait on this issue *UNLESS* you can come up with some other example(s)
of a different potential listener.