[gmpi] Re: Topic 8: Parameters

  • From: Marc Poirier <fipnid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 20:07:32 -0700 (PDT)

--- Paul Davis wrote:
> >Like what cases?
>
> other than the multiple host case, extension of GMPI to cover
> non-proxied out-of-address-space clients (even though we've agreed for
> now that this is not part of the design space).
>
> >Who said anything about multiple hosts?
>
> its been discussed here from time, and if you take a look at the
> direction the industry and technology is moving in,

Okay, yes, I agree, it just sounded like you were responding to what I
said (which didn't have anything to do with multiple hosts), when I guess
you were just getting more general...

> > I only said other listeners, and
> >then specifically said "like a GUI."  Hosts are not the only types of
>
> the GUI might be running on another machine.

Right, I do agree that this is all important to be able to deal with.
Thanks for emphasizing this all.

> the thing about AU that i don't get is the discovery process. imagine
> i'm a new chunk of code started up and i want to find out what plugins
> exist, and what their parameters are. how do i do this? AFAICT, AU is
> totally rooted in the in-address-space-and-execution-context model of
> a plugin, and thus the only context in which you can discover plugins
> is the context of the host itself.

I don't understand.  AU discovery happens via the Component Manager in Mac
OS X.  It's a framework that accessible via any process, any app, any
plugin, etc.  Your AU plugin can find and open AUs in exactly the same way
that the host app does.

> since this is intimately tied up with the question of GUIs, i suggest
> we wait on this issue *UNLESS* you can come up with some other
> example(s) of a different potential listener.

Sounds good to me.

Marc

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com