[gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

  • From: "Frederic Vanmol" <frederic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 20:02:34 +0100

> >> You're not forcing developers to write non-portable code. If someone
wants
> >> to write portable code, let them do so.
>
> how?

Whichever way they want to. The sdk should be platform-neutral, but it
doesn't have to provide extra means to write cross-platform code.

> the host doesn't provide anything itself other than by just linking
> into the SDK for that platform. and why do you say "large"?

I say large because it seems to me that people are asking to add more and
more of these things into the sdk.

> but i agree with you that GMPI is not intended to be a complete
> cross-platform toolkit. i think it is, however, supposed to be a
> complete cross-platform audio/music plugin API, and as such it has to
> deal with certain issues that are "solved" right now by writing
> platform specific code.

But plugins (and hosts) should have some freedom to decide how they will do
things for multiple platforms.

Maybe platform-neutral is a better description than cross-platform.

> >And forcing the host to implement a full set of x-platform
> >functions can to be rather discouraging,

There are libraries available for this. A plugin can use those.

Frederic