[gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 17:31:04 -0800 (PST)

>       I am somewhat worried about the audio format negotiations. One of the
> strengths of VST is that there is no audio format negotiation. And if I
> were to choose a single audio format, it would be 32 bit floats, ruling
> out non-fp platforms.
>       I think, however, that I would prefer that we separate the plugins by a
> data format indicator. So the host queries for the supported data
> formats of the plugin (32 bit float, 32 bit int, 16 bit int, 64 bit
> float) and then chooses to load the plugin or not. The host then calls
> SetAudioFormat() on the plugin, stating that for this instance of the
> plugin the format will always be X, where X is one of the supported
> foramts that the plugin reported. And then calls the appropriate Process
> calls.

I have been contemplating something a BIT more flexible, but not awful at
all.  Each audio port identifes the I/O it supports.  A very short list:

8.24 fixed point int (maybe)
16 bit int (maybe)
24 bit int (maybe)
32 bit float (definitely)
64 bit float (definitely)

The host chooses at connection time which format a connection has.  The
plugin knows that as long as that buffer is connected, it's type is
constant.