[gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

  • From: Bill Gardner <billg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 15:02:10 -0500

why not? take a look at the core of a bunch of DSP code - there's
nothing platform specific there. my guess is that you might be

Yes, that's true. The DSP code for our plugs is almost entirely platform independent - the only exceptions I can think of are process locking, and a few functions hacked in Pentium ASM. Everything else just compiles and runs.

I'm making the point that the host interface shouldn't be forced to provide every conceivable OS feature just in order that the implementation code be completely platform independent.

Bill

At 01:31 PM 3/5/03 -0500, you wrote:
>platform-dependent code. I have no expectation that the plug-in
>implementation will be platform independent, even on the filter side. I

why not? take a look at the core of a bunch of DSP code - there's
nothing platform specific there. my guess is that you might be
thinking of stuff that uses the Altivec, or SSE2 or some other
h/w-specific set of instructions to try to speed things up,
particularly those for custom DSP processor boards.

this is not really what i've been thinking of when i say
"platform-specific", though its clearly part of the meaning of the
term. the "platform" i'm thinking of is the operating system and to a
lesser extent the compiler.

if people choose to write plugins with specific
Altivec/PowerCore/UAD/56K code, that's an entirely different story to
me than including OS-specific calls that really have nothing to do
with DSP at all.

its still clearly an issue with "cross-platform" support, but is much
less important in my mind. if you write only Altivec code, you've just
written a plugin that is (more or less) exclusively for PPC
systems. GMPI didn't force you to do that, but allowed you to. what i
want to avoid is a situation where developers have to make OS-specific
calls to get things done, thus being forced to write non-cross-OS code
by a weakness in GMPI.

---------------------- Bill Gardner Wave Arts, Inc. 99 Mass. Ave., Arlington, MA 02474 Tel: 781-646-3794 Fax: 781-646-7190 billg@xxxxxxxxxxxx