[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 00:57:05 -0800

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 09:47:55AM +0100, Vincent Burel wrote:
> > > yes, it's better, but i prefer a centralized list somewhere.
> >
> > OK, tell me then, how a wrapper plugin works?  The requirement is that the
> > host sees wrapped plugins as if they were native plugins.  How do you
> handle
> > that when you have to have all plugins in the registry?
>
> well, be more precise because i don't understand the problem here.

OK.

You get a new plugin, you install it.  Installing it involves registering in
some central db, right?

This plugin happens to be a wrapper for some other plugin API.

I load my host and it sees a new db entry for this wrapper plugin.  What I
want it to see is an entry for each plugin that the wrapper wraps.

How do you solve that?

In my view, the host calls the probe routine for each plugin, rather than
looking in a db.  The probe routine for the wrapper returns one result for
each wrapped plugin.  The host can store itself.

--
Notice that as computers are becoming easier and easier to use,
suddenly there's a big market for "Dummies" books.  Cause and effect,