[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 01:29:26 -0800

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 10:08:24AM +0100, Vincent Burel wrote:
> > Disagree totally.  I know you are very windows centric and I am very
> > non-windows centric.  Reasons below..
>
> This concept can be implemented everywhere , The registry can be a special
> file somewhere, or a database. CLSID is good because this defines a uniq
> Ident for a plug-in ... don't understand how you can Disagree Totally....

OK, so when you install a plugin, you need to probe it and install
meta-data.  Why not just do that in your host, and leave it at that?  Save
it once, and that's all you need.

> > Why keep this info OUTSIDE the plugin?  It's part of the plugin.  The only
> > thing is does is add an chance to get out of sync..
>
> Because , the host MUST be able to get a plug-in list with further
> information without loading DLL and without instantiate plug-in object.
> (question of speed, reliability, and avoiding buggs)

instantiation.  Speed: It's O(1) - you do it when you add a new plugin,
only.  Reliability - huh?  Bugs - If there are bugs, it will show up sooner
or later.  I prefer sooner, honestly.

Tim