[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 17:29:04 +0100

On Sunday 09 November 2003 02.47, Tim Hockin wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 01:48:10PM -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 12:52:31PM +0100, Vincent Burel wrote:
> > > somethink like the Windows Registry should list all the Plug-in
> > > registered (With CLSID concept and with the complete pathname
> > > of the related DLL).
> >
> > Disagree totally.  I know you are very windows centric and I am
> > very non-windows centric.  Reasons below..
>
> I forgot an important point - a user should be able to install a
> plugin without elevated privileges.  I want to be able to install
> plugins in my own ~/.GMPI_plugins (for example).  I sure don't see
> any sense in registering that with the 'Linux registry' or even the
> 'Windows registry':)

It's also important to keep in mind that a system global registry can
very easily become a major security hazard. If users can install and
register plugins "system wide", these plugins can be detected and
examined by applications run by other users, or as system services.

From 'man dlopen' (Un*x function for loading dynamic libs):

        "If  the  library  exports  a routine named _init, then
        that code is executed before dlopen returns."

IIRC, Win32 has a very similar feature, and I believe most other
platforms with a reasonably usable dynamic lib implementation do as
well.