[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:13:34 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Hockin" <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2003 10:26 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

> On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 07:12:37PM +0100, Vincent Burel wrote:
> > > most modern OS's are multi-user systems. i might want to install
> > > plugins on a system where i do not have "administrator/root/superuser"
> > > access.
> >
> > Why you want might that ?
>
> Because that is a feature?  I can allow anyone to use my computer in the
way
> they want without the resik of them damaging the system.  There is no
chance
> of them writing to anything they don't have permissions for, and there is
> no chance of them breaking stuff for any other user.  Just because Windows
> prefers you to make your user an 'Administrator' doesn't mean it's the
right
> thing to do.

agree, but what is the relation ship with GMPI ? GMPI is an O/S ?

> > the plug-in or the installation program may call a function (provided by
> > GMPI) to register the plug-in on the system and store extra
information...

> So you have to load the plugin to call the function to prevent you from
> having to load the plugin?  Eh?  Why not just load the plugin once, probe
> it, then store the results.

because in this case , it means that you have to install (or make install by
the host) your plug-in for all the Host.

> The issue was how do you handle clashes between the system registry and
the
> user registry?

if you begin with such consideration, there is no limit for that sorry.

> Further - here is my take on the 'Registry' in Windows.  It grows and
grows.
> Every time I add hardware or software it grows.  But it never shrinks.  I
> can pull all the add-ins out of my PC and de-install all the software and
> the registry never gets smaller.  I call that broken.

never got problem under windows because the registry.

> I've said at least three times now that PROBE != INSTANTIATE.

ok, but practically speaking all the actual SDK do the opposite.

> If the requirements said that you get meta data from the DLL by calling
the
> probe() method WHICH DOES NOT INSTANTIATE THE PLUGIN, would that be good
> enough?

yes, it's better, but i prefer a centralized list somewhere.

> You asked for a straw man, and he told you he can't give it to you.
> Reality intervenes and says that you CAN load a dll without demand-paging
it
> all into memory with minimal memory usage.  And you can then UNload it
when you
> are done probing, freeing that memory.

no sorry, the system does what he wants in term of UNLOADING components from
the memory. Its strategy can be to keep the maximum stuff in memory upto
someone else ask for more memory . You cannot speculate on the system
behavior .

Vincent Burel