[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 01:26:23 -0800

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 10:16:03AM +0100, Vincent Burel wrote:
> > NO WAY.  Over categorization is bad bad bad.
>
> well, if you are a user and installed 100 or 200 plug-in on your system,
> with strange name , sometimes you have no idea about what doing this or that
> plug-in , Categorization allow
> - To give an extra information about the plug-in for the user.
> - To classify plug-in by functions automatically
> category is for display purpose (The host can decide to don't take care
> about this information)... i don't see any problem.

And all the things that don't fit a category perfectly?  Or all the things
that fit two, three or ten categories?  At the least, it would have to be a
list or mask of categories.  And the categories would have to be much higher
level:

Instrument
Effect
Proxy
Controller
etc.

Even then, I don't see it as really helping anything at all..

--
Notice that as computers are becoming easier and easier to use,
suddenly there's a big market for "Dummies" books.  Cause and effect,