[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: Marco Ballini <marcoballini@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 09 Nov 2003 18:59:12 +0100

On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 14:48, Paul Davis wrote:
> information that relates the plugin needs to be stored with the
> plugin. as a compromise, i would accept the following idea: for a
> plugin stored in a file called "foo", let there be another shared
> object (DLL) called "foo-bar" (where the "-bar") is constant across
> all foo. when a host discovers the plugin "foo", it actually opens
> "foobar" to read metadata about "foo". "foobar" is small, and always
> unprotected by any DRM system. how does it discover "foo" and not
> think that "foobar" is a plugin as well? tricky, but perfectly
> finessable if we were to agree on this general idea.

I like very much this idea, but don't understand why the foo-bar file
must be a DLL (a shared object in general). Couldn't it be an XML or
text file, or whatever...? (or I misinterpreted what you said?).

The file foo.xml can be edited by the user and may contain:
- Author, plugin name,.... I don't think sync problems are so critical
in this case.
- the plugin category (e.g.: {FX, Rever} or {Generator, Physical
Modeling} or {Sequencer} or...). The fact that it can be edited left out
the possibility to have a few simple categories when a users as a few
plugin, alter the hierarchy (more levels of categories) when the number
of plugins grow.
- the ID of the plugin. I don't like the idea of developing my own
plugin and having it to register to a central database. The ID is
constructed in the system of the user. In the World a plugin is
referenced to simply by its name (the long name), its author and its
version...

In conclusion my requirement is that those things are to be left out of
the plugin itself.