[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: Andy <andy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 11:31:22 -0000

Sorry I haven't taken part much recently so here's my 2 cents, feel free to
ignore !

> Plugin Discovery
> ---------------
> * How are plugins discovered on the system?
>   - registration required in a central DB?
>   - a directory that must be scanned?

Registration in a central DB. I take it though you don't mean an internet DB
through web services ?

> * What info/services must the host provide at instantiation vs. runtime?

All information that the host holds should be queryable (SP ?) at any time
by the plugin.  If you see the answer to the next question , the only thing
the host should send the plugin at  instantiation is GMPI feature
limitations.

> * What must the plugin provide the host at instantiation?

I'm inclined to think here that some plugins will not provide all the
facilities of GMPI.  Should a plugin which doesn't implement a GMPI feature
(Say a mono only plugin wouldn't support any stereo operations) report at
instantiation its limitations ?

> * How do wrapper plugins (e.g. VST in GMPI) fit into this?
> * Anything else?
>
> DSP state
> -------
> * When must/may the host reset a plugin?

Do we need to define this ?  The GMPI plugin *shouldn't* care what
circumstances it is reset, it should only need to know what to do when it is
reset .

Another question is, is a GMPI reset the same as a re-instantiation

> * Anything else?
> non-FPU systems
> * Do we REALLY want to support non-FPU systems?
>   - means we need to have float and int sample types
>   - means 'real' parameters can not be float
>   - means that anywhere we want to use a float or double needs to change

I'm inclined to say no GMPI shouldn't support non-FPU systems.  However if
there are a range of devices or programs out there that don't support FPU
(mobile phones perhaps but I doubt it) then there should be a separate spec
for that.  I'm thinking here of an interface spec that defines how GMPI
talks to non-FPU GMPI.