[gmpi] Reqs draft

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GMPI list <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:40:48 -0800

Hey all,

Ron has asked that I try to accelerate the GMPI requirements draft I am
working on.  With that goal, I'm coming to you guys with a few questions
where I really don't know what to put.  Can we maybe get some quick
discussions going about what makes sense for REQUIREMENTS (not spec) for
these areas?

Thanks!  We don't have a whole lot of time for debate before this draft, so
please, state the requirements as you see them, and the justifications.

Arguments and language can be debated later :)

Plugin Discovery
---------------
* How are plugins discovered on the system?
  - registration required in a central DB?
  - a directory that must be scanned?
* What info/services must the host provide at instantiation vs. runtime?
* What must the plugin provide the host at instantiation?
* How do wrapper plugins (e.g. VST in GMPI) fit into this?
* Anything else?

DSP state
-------
* When must/may the host reset a plugin?
* Anything else?

non-FPU systems
* Do we REALLY want to support non-FPU systems?
  - means we need to have float and int sample types
  - means 'real' parameters can not be float
  - means that anywhere we want to use a float or double needs to change
* If we do support it -- profiles -- what falls into a profile?
  - samples (int16 or int24 or 'real')
  - definition of 'real' and operations for reals
  - ???

Thoughts on other requirements