[gmpi] Re: [OT] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:47:50 -0700

Yes, this is OT.

Martijn said:

>Chris said:
Martijn said:
I'm not sure what you mean here. All I said was that AFAIK there are
 >verious legal ways of sending (N)RPN commands and it might be useful
 >to know how they were sent in some cases.

 The standard says you can send just LSB, just MSB, or LSB + MSB for
 the parameter number, and then change the parameter value with either
 Data Increment,m Data Decrement, or Data Entry -- which is a 14-bit
 controller, so it can be either MSB or MSB followed by LSB.  So yes,
 a fair amount of variation there, and actually, there is a lot of
 inconsistency in the whole LSB/MSB reception area in product
 implementations.

Is it mandatory to always set the parameter number before changing the parameter, or is it also allowed to set the parameter number once and then after that send multiple data increment/decrement/entry commands?

It's good authoring practice, and several people I know claim it's required, but from the spec documents themselves, it doesn't seem to be mandatory... i.e. once set, the (N)RPN parameter number controller/register is persistent until changed again.

How does a receiver of a data entry command know if a LSB will follow
a MSB?

It doesn't, which is why we have the MIDI Implementation Chart, to encourage MIDI gear developers to publish how their devices respond to MIDI messages. Then the -sender- can be configured to transmit what the receiver wants to see.

If only MSB or MSB+LSB is allowed, why did they not choose
MSB or LSB+MSB?

I wasn't around at that time, couldn't tell you for sure.

-- Chris G.