[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:03:01 -0600

Martijn Sipkema wrote:

[...]

And I still haven't seen a good reason for only having a single control protocol...

Let me try to give you a good reason. Lets say I am a synthesizer plugin, one sine wave oscillator, which takes a note on of a specific pitch. So lets say the host can pass GMPI events and MIDI mixed together.
For GMPI events, the note on has a frequency attached which tells me what frequency to generate. For the MIDI, I get a note number, which I need to translate into a frequency.
So how do I translate note numbers into frequency? Well, I use a look up table. Uh-oh, that's the same way that the host translates note numbers into GMPI events with frequency. Presto, either there are two table which the user has to set independently, or the plugin and host have to share a translation table. And this is a really simple situation.

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems