[gmpi] Re: [OT] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 02:57:21 -0400

>I don't think that when throwing a large sysex between a MSB and LSB
>message it should be expected that MSB+LSB are treated atomically.
>Normally the only message I'd expect to get interleaved are MIDI
>realtime messages.

multiple devices on the same MIDI bus? matrix MIDI patchbays in the
mix? should a merge function never split MSB/LSB messages, or not?

>> no, we can ramp, but the MIDI spec sorta-kinda implies that we're not
>> supposed to. one can interpret it liberally, and i think most of us
>> s/w people would tend to do that, but its really quite unclear.
>
>I think the "concept of the controller value" is is not related in any way
>to the value of what is being controlled by it, so the MIDI spec probably

that's true. but this is all part of why this (handling 14bit values
correctly) is so hard to implement properly. each small piece appears
doable, but the whole is a mess.

the issue with ramping is not whether one ramps at all. its when you
start the ramp. if you reset the MSB as soon as it arrives, and then
start ramping the parameter immediately, you may go overshoot if the
LSB arrives later. sit and vigourously twiddle with a h/w controller
that is programmed to generate 14bit values sometime, while running a
fairly dense MIDI note stream and MTC over the same bus. its not a
pretty sight.

i mean its really pretty obvious: 14 bit values should have been sent
as a 4 byte message. concerns about msg byte size appear to have
dominated back at MIDI's inception (hence compression techniques like
running status).

--p