[gmpi] Re: [OT] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "Martijn Sipkema" <m.j.w.sipkema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:04:22 +0100

> > > I still don't see why you need to wait. A *maximum* 1/128th
> > > change in any MIDI CC parameter is not likely to cause audible
> > > problems, so why not set the LSB to zero as soon as possible
> > > after receiving the MSB? Then if and when you get an LSB set
> > > it again?
> >
> > It is audible, e.g. when controlling the filter cutoff on my waldorf
> > pulse. If it wouldn't be audible in any case then why even bother
> > with higher resolution at all?
>
> You missed the point. We weren't talking about "audible", we were
> talking about "audible problems", i.e.. zipper noise. (That was the
> reason that was given for needing to "wait").

No, I don't think I missed the point. Using only coarse MIDI CC
is not suitable for use as in realtime performance, as opposed to
just setting a value. For example, when using it to create a filter
sweep it may produce audible staircasing.

> But while we are in the topic, the reason MIDI has 14-bit values
> for high-resolution is not because 14-bit resolution is needed,
> but just because that's the only way to get more than 128 values
> in MIDI.

I'm also not saying 14 bits are needed, but more than 128 values
_are_. Some synthesizers have only 128 values for their pitch bend
wheel. My Kurzweil PC2X has about a thousand I think, and that
does make a difference when using a large pitch bend range. It
would have been even nicer if it had also supported that higher
resolution on the modulation wheel since pitch bend is mostly
used for fast changes only.

> I bet there are very few (if any) *devices* that have
> 16384 discrete steps to any of their controllers, so many 14-bit
> MIDI values will actually not cause any audible change. But again,
> we weren't talking about that <g>.

Again, 128 values only is a little low for some uses. (I don't think
it matters for note on/off velocity or even a volume pedal)

--ms