[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "Martijn Sipkema" <m.j.w.sipkema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:51:29 +0100

> > > "how much data did it use" is grasping at straws as far as I'm concerned.
> > > IIRC you cant reliably answer this question by inspection of the MIDI byte
> > > stream either, and I can't see what you'd use it for. I'd need a use-case
> > > that didnt extend the NRPN specification before I seriously considered it
> > > as a requirement.
> >
> > You can send a "canonical" (N)RPN message every time, possibly even
> > resetting the current parameter at the end, or just send a single data
> > change
> > or increment message. This may be useful information.
>
> You can, but requiring it would mean changing the NRPN specification, and
> I'm not sure theres that much agreement as to what a canonical NRPN looks
> like (eg. does it include the null marker or not).

I'm not sure what you mean here. All I said was that AFAIK there are
verious legal ways of sending (N)RPN commands and it might be useful
to know how they were sent in some cases.

> I'm not sure you should change your behaviour depending on what "kind" of
> NRPN has been received.

It says something about the density of messages on the wire and I think
this information may in some cases be useful, especially for plugins that
edit MIDI streams.

--ms