[gmpi] [OT] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "Martijn Sipkema" <m.j.w.sipkema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:11:23 +0100

> >I'm not sure what you mean here. All I said was that AFAIK there are
> >verious legal ways of sending (N)RPN commands and it might be useful
> >to know how they were sent in some cases.
>
> The standard says you can send just LSB, just MSB, or LSB + MSB for
> the parameter number, and then change the parameter value with either
> Data Increment,m Data Decrement, or Data Entry -- which is a 14-bit
> controller, so it can be either MSB or MSB followed by LSB.  So yes,
> a fair amount of variation there, and actually, there is a lot of
> inconsistency in the whole LSB/MSB reception area in product
> implementations.

Is it mandatory to always set the parameter number before changing
the parameter, or is it also allowed to set the parameter number once and
then after that send multiple data increment/decrement/entry commands?

How does a receiver of a data entry command know if a LSB will follow
a MSB? If only MSB or MSB+LSB is allowed, why did they not choose
MSB or LSB+MSB?

(just curious...)

--ms