[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "Martijn Sipkema" <m.j.w.sipkema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:21:50 +0100

> > > Such as?
> >
> > Running status, exact byte order with interleaved (realtime) messages. You
> > may lose that information in some cases, but not all. That information may
> > be relevant in some cases, probably also not in all. An example: how was
> > a (N)RPN sent, i.e. how much data did it use?
>
> Its hard to see how running status could be preserved, the host would
> probably have to strip it out of any raw MIDI sent to plugins anyway, as
> there would ne no way for the plugin to interpret it meaningfuly.

It would only have to remove running-status it if its meaning would change
were it not removed.

[...]
> "how was a (N)RPN sent" doesnt make sense to me, you'l have to expand on
> that.
>
> "how much data did it use" is grasping at straws as far as I'm concerned.
> IIRC you cant reliably answer this question by inspection of the MIDI byte
> stream either, and I can't see what you'd use it for. I'd need a use-case
> that didnt extend the NRPN specification before I seriously considered it
> as a requirement.

You can send a "canonical" (N)RPN message every time, possibly even
resetting the current parameter at the end, or just send a single data change
or increment message. This may be useful information.

--ms