[gmpi] Re: [OT] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:10:02 -0400

>The spec say that "when an MSB is received, a receiver should
>set its concept of the LSB to zero". No timeout is stated, or
>implied, nor should be assumed, I think.

right, and this is really a poor design (for s/w at least). i've
discussed this with about a dozen people over the last 3-4 years, and
nobody can figure out what the original spec team were imagining.

IIRC, there's at least 0.6msec between the MSB and LSB messages, or
20-60 samples at typical SR's. Thats enough to cause really glaring
artifacts when combined with sample-accurate event delivery.

If you reset the LSB to zero immediately the MSB arrives, you get
wierd zipper noise. if you wait to see if the LSB arrives, you can
avoid the zipper noise, but things get tricky from a s/w
implementation point of view. Timeouts, interpolated values, etc. etc.

--p