[gmpi] Re: [OT] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "Martijn Sipkema" <m.j.w.sipkema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 01:05:35 +0100

[...]
> >How does a receiver of a data entry command know if a LSB will follow
> >a MSB?
>
> It doesn't, which is why we have the MIDI Implementation Chart, to
> encourage MIDI gear developers to publish how their devices respond
> to MIDI messages.  Then the -sender- can be configured to transmit
> what the receiver wants to see.
>
> >If only MSB or MSB+LSB is allowed, why did they not choose
> >MSB or LSB+MSB?
>
> I wasn't around at that time, couldn't tell you for sure.

The following is only slightly off-topic I think:

Could the plugin provide some way to have high resolution parameters
handled correctly automatically. It is important to support 14 bit resolution
without zipper noise when the MSB changes, e.g. a very small change
from a high LSB value to a low LSB in the next MSB should not result
in the parameter being changed twice, first increasing the MSB whilst
keeping the current  LSB value and after that setting the LSB since that
causes a jump of almost 1 MSB increment where only a very small
increment was wanted.
Perhaps (N)RPN was not meant for this kind of control, but won't wide
CCs have the same problem?

--ms