[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:44:35 +0100

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 04:55:31 +0100, Martijn Sipkema wrote:
> > It is easily possible, if the host does the translation from
> > NRPN/CC/whatever into GMPI control messages, not the plugin.
>
> Suppose a device has a current channel and parameters affect that channel.
> If the host doesn't know about this, then it can't keep state. Keeping the
> full MIDI state of a plugin outside of the plugin is simply not possible.

The host needs to know about it. GMPI-native control will (I imagine) be
channel addressable too.

> > We agreed undo/redo as a requirement.
>
> But for all changes in plugin state? You can't undo a note-on. You can't undo
> all sysex commands. You can't undo a MIDI reset without keeping the entire
> state of a plugin in the host or requiring the plugin to support undo, which
> it
> can't support for all commands.
>
> GMPI parameters should work as you described and MIDI should be handled
> seperately. Perhaps even an alternative control protocol for instruments
> should
> not be handled using GMPI parameters...

OK, but if you agree to allowing the GMPI API to wrap MIDI (and OSC and
whatever else) then you can have undo and automation for the undoable
things like parameter control.

Obviously events like note-on will not be undoable. I suspect you're
trying to wind me up now ;)