[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "Martijn Sipkema" <m.j.w.sipkema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:55:31 +0100

> > > please read the reqs document on the design of the parameter control
> > > system. this is (one of) the central issue(s) here: we have already
> > > agreed that the host mediates *all* parameter changes in order to
> > > allow sample-accurate, graph-wide, consistent undo/redo/automation.
> >
> > If that is a requirement, then you can't have MIDI control. undo/redo is
> > not possible for all commands.
>
> It is easily possible, if the host does the translation from
> NRPN/CC/whatever into GMPI control messages, not the plugin.

Suppose a device has a current channel and parameters affect that channel.
If the host doesn't know about this, then it can't keep state. Keeping the
full MIDI state of a plugin outside of the plugin is simply not possible.

> > > we even spent a week or three debating and designing an odd kludge
> > > called an "actor" to give plugins the chance to pre-process parameter
> > > changes, precisely so as not to violate this requirement.
> >
> > I do see that undo/redo is important, maybe more so for an effect
> > plugin than an instrument. Keeping MIDI and other control protocols
> > seperate will allow undo/redo per protocol where some protocols
> > may and others may not allow undo.
>
> We agreed undo/redo as a requirement.

But for all changes in plugin state? You can't undo a note-on. You can't undo
all sysex commands. You can't undo a MIDI reset without keeping the entire
state of a plugin in the host or requiring the plugin to support undo, which it
can't support for all commands.

GMPI parameters should work as you described and MIDI should be handled
seperately. Perhaps even an alternative control protocol for instruments should
not be handled using GMPI parameters...

--ms