[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "Martijn Sipkema" <m.j.w.sipkema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:33:31 +0100

> >> Yes, thats why it can't be done with raw MIDI, but it can be done with
> >> GMPI-native control APIs, following the earlier requirements.
> >
> >Why not have the plugin notify the host that a parameter has changed? If
> >you keep state in two places you know it will get out of sync.
>
> please read the reqs document on the design of the parameter control
> system. this is (one of) the central issue(s) here: we have already
> agreed that the host mediates *all* parameter changes in order to
> allow sample-accurate, graph-wide, consistent undo/redo/automation.

If that is a requirement, then you can't have MIDI control. undo/redo is
not possible for all commands.

> we even spent a week or three debating and designing an odd kludge
> called an "actor" to give plugins the chance to pre-process parameter
> changes, precisely so as not to violate this requirement.

I do see that undo/redo is important, maybe more so for an effect
plugin than an instrument. Keeping MIDI and other control protocols
seperate will allow undo/redo per protocol where some protocols
may and others may not allow undo.

--ms