[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 01:52:22 +0200

On Wednesday, June 16, 2004 12:10 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Tom White <xxxtwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> look, the limitations *AND* strengths of MIDI are well known
>> throughout the industry.
>
> Maybe, but many of the complaints about MIDI I hear tend to be
> stated in black and white when instead they are gray.
>
> For example, we have all heard about MIDI being "too slow" since
> the very first day, yet commercial success seems to say otherwise.
> Anyway, there is a distinction between "MIDI the cable" and "MIDI
> the protocol" which we all know, yet I've rarely heard anyone say
> "MIDI is too slow but of course I only mean MIDI over a 5-Pin
> DIN cable, because I recognize that USB-MIDI, Firewire-MIDI and
> the other transports for MIDI are just fine". Instead they just
> say "MIDI is too slow" and for people who don't know the difference
> this is very damaging.
>
> It is also not uncommon for people to blame MIDI for things that
> are implementation issue inherent in MIDI devices.
>
> My point is simply to make sure that when this group talks about
> the need to use something other than MIDI because MIDI can't do
> something, that everyone has an equal understanding.

Granted. I see what you mean. And it's really what we have been doing up to
now in most of these messages...

The problem is that doing a workaround using MIDI doesn't mean that MIDI
"can do it properly" (if it can be done in the first place). That's grey
indeed. But to a composer/musician who has to deal with these workarounds,
it's very annoying/disturbing. And since there ARE better ways to do it (and
as Paul said, these ways have been there in other software, like CSound),
let's discuss that.

Koen